Thursday, November 12, 2009

National Geographic

A dream come true, working for National Geographic.

Recently my good friend Bryan Smith through Reel Water Productions managed somehow to convince me that I needed to dive into the world of adventure film making and specifically as a grip, rigger and camera equipment designer. This summer I started with a radio controlled cable cam robot, and now have a 15 foot jib boom, a track and dolly system and a RC camera helicopter, and Bryan was right... I've never been so stoked! Together we have completed 6 TV segments with many more to go for Nat Geo Channel with stories about Base Jumping, Slacklining, Climbing, Kayaking, Ice Climbing, Mountain Biking and Snowboarding, and two web TV series with stories on Mountain Biking, Trail Running, Bouldering, Sea Kayaking, Climbing, Surfing and Skiing for Arcteryx and Patagonia. You could say our expertise in adventure film has become far reaching. I feel super privileged and excited about my new career and feel I've finally found the niche business I've been searching for. Here are a few images from our recent films.

CC system, operating the cable cam at Crankworx 2009
slacklining the Chief and designing control systems.





3 comments:

安安 said...

問聲好~~ 祝福您的blog愈來愈熱鬧!..................................................

Jean said...

Hey Matt, I just discovered you through The Season. And I saw that your developed the Sea to Sky cam and using RC choppers for videography.
I'm a PhD student in marine ecology and started climbing last summer (i'm hooked for life of course).
Anyway, I'm writing to say that I'm amazed at the parallels of the use of cable cameras and RC crafts for my research with a fellow climber! Mine are the super El Cheapo versions since I'm working off a grad student budget.
You can see the video of my work here. The RC Plane part is at 0:48, cable camera 1:16.

Jean said...

Of course I had to forget to include the link to my video
http://vimeo.com/16041752
The RC Plane part is at 0:48, cable camera 1:16.